The biggest problem that content writers and bloggers face these days is to create the type of content which is SEO Friendly as well as proves to be extremely involving to people. The kind of appeal an SEO Friendly article would get would be incomparable in front of any other. In order to gain this kind of organic traffic on your content, you need to work very smartly on your content. Just playing with words, adding good vocabulary, and putting well-illustrated images won’t help you get the reach. If you want your article to rank on Google, you need to careful with these two things.
Firstly, go strictly by the search engine algorithms, and secondly, keep your content user friendly. If you crack this formula and cope up with both these strategies, you are just one step away from being an SEO optimized content writer. Writing SEO Friendly articles is time-consuming and asks for real efforts but once it serves the purpose, nothing is more worth it than that.
Let’s get a sneak-peak at what in SEO and a few SEO Rules In order to write high-quality content that can elevate your ranking in the Google search results.
What is SEO?
Whenever we type a search query on Google (or any other search engine) and hit ‘enter’, a list of relevant search results gets popped up on our screen. These search results are actually the result of Search Engine Optimization (SEO). In simpler words, SEO is a method of enhancing the effectiveness of your content over various search engines. This tactic helps the content to rank higher on Google in contrast with the other articles falling under the same search results.
How does SEO process?
The SEO process is well described by the Alpha Bee Design:
List of All SEO Rules
1. Perform a thorough Keyword Search
Inducing the right keywords in your content acts as a catalyst. They speed up the process of making your SEO friendly articles rank higher on the google search results and in return satisfy your target audience. For having the utmost apt intellect of choosing the right keywords focus on the following –
- Try to understand the search intent of the keywords that you use.
- Keep a check on the volume of searches you do for a chosen keyword because using the wrong one would waste a lot of your time.
- Do a thorough research over the content that is already available under the same subject in order to compete with it.
- People generally use long sentence or phrases when they are performing a particular search. This happens so because of their mere knowledge in the subject. Hence, take advantage of this fact and focus on long phrases or sentence. Their search volume might be low yet their chances of ranking higher on SERPs.
Here are some listed sources that might help you perform a good keyword search for your SEO friendly Articles–
- Use tools like AnswerThePublic, SE Ranking Keyword Suggestion tool, or Google Keyword Planner in order to research the best keywords.
- People use Quora to discuss industry-related issues and various others. The search results are never filtered here hence a higher chance to get the best keywords for your SEO friendly Article.
- You can always look at the Related searches block at the bottom of every search result page to get a better idea of what people are trying to search.
- Google Autocomplete also helps you in providing the best keyword suggestions on the basis of real user queries.
- Keep an eye over the main competitors you have and figure out the types of keywords they are using to gain organic traffic.
After collecting all the relevant keywords, make a list of them, and target using the same at the following positions in your article to make it an SEO friendly Article.
After finding the focus keywords, include them in the places where the search engine grasps it in the best way:
- Title of the article
- URL of the webpage
- Meta description: 150-160 characters
- In your content: use in H1-H6 tags
- Image Titles and alt image tags
Note– Over-using keywords might also hamper the content readability. Use them only at places where it actually makes sense and looks natural rather than in a haphazard manner. This might confuse your readers. Hence avoid Keyword Stuffing.
2. SEO friendly URLs
Focusing on writing SEO friendly articles never takes away the fact that the URL of the webpage needs to be strong enough. This is so because URLs are the major ranking factors and are the first things to be shared. Following tips might help you write a good SEO friendly article by URL Optimization Techniques–
- Include the focus keyword for each search page. This improves the search visibility of the site. Hence the search engines can categorize and identify the webpage better.
- Avoid using irrelevant words in the URL and make it shorter. A URL of about 60 characters or say maximum of 5 words is absolutely perfect to go with.
- Hyphens are to be used to separate words. For example, https://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/migraines-headaches-migraines
- Only lowercase letters are permitted in the URLs because uppercase letters result in 404 errors.
- Avoid words like a, an, but, and or and try to keep your URLs simple and relevant.
3. Write engaging titles
Titles to your content is what a Book Cover is to a Book.
Just how a reader’s first impression goes at the cover of the book and makes him decide whether or not to pick that book the same way titles in your articles act. Writing catchy and involving titles is very pertinent to write an SEO friendly articles.
- Avoid making your title extremely wordy.
- Make sure it’s short, descriptive as well as giving a direction to the reader as to what your article is about.
- Use different font sizes or colors to highlight your title if necessary.
- Try to use words that are easily grasped by a layman. A very high vocabulary might confuse the user.
- Use heading H1 for the main title, H2 for the subheading, H3, H4, H5, and H6 for subsequent heading below. This gives an idea to the user about which topic is a sub-topic of what.
4. Assemble the content in a structure
One major tactic for a writing an SEO friendly article is to follow a certain structure for your content. Follow the given steps for making the process for efficient-
- Avoid writing larger paragraphs. Break the content into smaller fragments of about 3-4 lines and not more than that. Generally, people avoid reading stuffed paragraphs because they make the interest of the reader lose. However good and in-depth you have put in your article, the long paragraphs would take away all the attention leaving your efforts in vain.
- Use headings as much as possible. It gives a direction to the reader regarding each section. The reader won’t have to go through the entire passage if he is looking only for certain information. This strategy fulfills our aim of a user-friendly SEO Optimized article.
- Encourage using bullets and numbered lists to make your content look more organized,
- Segregate different fragments of your content with colors, varied font sizes, and images in the middle.
- Organize your thoughts in an assembles manner and not haphazardly. The content should have a flow and not look ruptured based on the ideas.
5. Optimize the meta description
A meta description is the 160 characters summary that Google shows below your title result on the webpage. Meta description optimization is considered important for SEO friendly blog posts because it is the first thing that a reader notices after the title of the page. It is supposed to be informative and extremely appealing so as to make the user click it.
This would happen only when you use all the focus keywords in your meta description. A 150-160 character meta description is considered as the optimum length. Therefore, find your target keyword and induce it naturally in the meta description. This way Google might match the search result with your article and ranks it on the first page. It’s the primary strategy for writing an SEO Friendly Article.
6. Do relevant internal/external linking
Sometimes our article contain certain words which are far from the understanding of the reader. they might be difficult scientific terms or terminologies that one never uses in his daily routine. Hence it is our responsibility to provide a clarification to the reader as to what that word means.
This could be done using internal or external links in your SEO Optimized Article. This way the reader can explore that topic more in depth. It makes the readers spend more time on your website and hence reduce the bounce rate.
Try to use external linking using trustworthy websites only to give the reader a better experience. You can also add descriptive anchor text to the links so that people can understand the link better. Make sure your links are natural, relevant, and useful for the reader. This would make your article SEO friendly and definitely get a better rank on search engines.
7. Optimal content length
Target writing a 300 to 500 words article or blog post because Google tends to like longer content. They happen to get more likes and mentions on every social media platform. Therefore it will make your content SEO friendly naturally.
Though the optimal length is considered around 2000 words you don’t need to target that every time.
Quality should never be negotiated over the quantity. Make sure you reach an optimum length of content so as to make your content rank higher with more views and hence SEO friendly as well.
8. Image Optimization
Optimizing images in your content is an exceptional way to make your article SEO friendly. It makes the content more interesting to look at and helps the reader to spend more time on your blog post. It increases customer satisfaction too.
Always give proper Alt text, titles, description, captions, and filenames to your image.
The ALT text won’t be visible to website visitors, but the search engines will use it to understand the subject of the image. ALT texts appear whenever the image isn’t able to load on the page due to network issues or server problems. It is also the most used rule for creating SEO friendly articles.
9. Update content regularly
Even though you have posted your content on the website it still needs to be updated with time. This is so because Google provides its searchers with the best results for the search queries they enter. These search queries may change with time and hence the keywords need to be modified too.
Make sure you publish regularly only then Google would count you in as good researchers who give SEO friendly articles. Also, focus on your writing skills using certain tools for the same.
10. Use social media icons
A good SEO friendly article would gain organic traffic for sure but it gets a lot more popular if it is spread around on all the platforms. Therefore use various social media sharing buttons on your articles like LinkedIn, Instagram, WhatsApp, Pinterest, Quora, etc.
This help your content spread globally and encourage more people to go through it.
All these rules will help you a lot in achieving your goal towards an SEO Friendly article. The next to it is the On-page SEO that makes your content more optimized so as to gain a higher amount of organic traffic altogether.
1. What is SEO and how it works?
Search engine optimization (SEO) means optimizing your content so that any search engine such as Google chooses to display it as a top result whenever a user puts a certain keyword for search.
2. How much does SEO cost?
The cost of SEO services depends on what is included. The majority of SEO projects of 2020 were costing between $1000-$2,000/month on the basis of what is the scope of the project.
A one-off project will range between $5,000-$10,000+ and the per hour rate for consultants is between $80-$200/hour.
3. Does Google use Keywords for SEO Optimization?
Google’s search results as stated in September 2009 says that Google doesn’t use the “keywords” meta tag while web search ranking.
4. What is an SEO friendly content?
SEO–friendly content means the type of content that makes itself rank higher on a search engine result list. The content is not supposed to be stuffed with irrelevant keywords yet it should have relevant keywords so that the search engine gets a help in searching the right content on web.